Published Series of Word Tips
After presenting the Expanding Your Toolbox to Make You a More Productive Editor session at the Society for Technical Communication’s 2019 Technical Communication Summit. & Expo on May 6, 2019, I followed up the session with a series of Word tips to the company LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/bookworm-editing-services-llc
These are the topics I have covered in depth:
- Advanced Find and Replace
- Advanced Find and Replace with Macros
- Advanced Find and Replace with Wildcards
- AutoCorrect List
- Changing Find Command to Advanced Find in Word
- Custom Dictionary
- Editor Tools Tab
- Exclusion Dictionary
- Format Painter
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Navigation Pane
- Personalized Tabs in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Reading Highlight
Click the links above, which provide instructions and screenshots.
I also created a video for the Exclusion Dictionary document: https://headbookworm.com/adding-to-exclusion-dictionary-mp4/
It’s not fancy (no audio), but it walks you through the process, which is a little more complicated than some of the other topics.
I continue to present this session:
- webinar for STC on July 10, 2019
- in-person presentation for the CNY STC chapter on August 26, 2019
- in-person presentation (with abbreiated title: Tools to Enhance Your Productivity as an Editor) for AMWA Medical Writing and Communication Conference in San Diego, CA on November 7, 2019
- webinar for South Central Texas chapter of STC on January 14, 2020
I’ve continued to post people’s questions and advice from all of these sessions on my company LinkedIn page.
Non-published Word Tips for Standard Responses
I created this document to help writers at a previous employer use Word, complete with step-by-step instructions and screenshots from the software:
It’s been santizied (ie, the company name and information was taken out).