Published Series of Word Tips
After presenting the Expanding Your Toolbox to Make You a More Productive Editor session at the Society for Technical Communication’s 2019 Technical Communication Summit. & Expo on May 6, 2019, I followed up the session with a series of Word tips to the company LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/bookworm-editing-services-llc
These are the topics I have covered in depth:
- Advanced Find and Replace
- Advanced Find and Replace with Macros
- Advanced Find and Replace with Wildcards
- AutoCorrect List
- Changing Find Command to Advanced Find in Word
- Custom Dictionary
- Editor Tools Tab
- Exclusion Dictionary
- Format Painter
- Go To Function
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Naming Conventions
- Navigation Pane
- Personalized Tabs in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Reading Highlight
Click the links above, which provide instructions and screenshots.
I also created a video for the Exclusion Dictionary document: https://headbookworm.com/adding-to-exclusion-dictionary-mp4/
It’s not fancy (no audio), but it walks you through the process, which is a little more complicated than some of the other topics.
I continue to present this session:
- webinar for STC on July 10, 2019
- in-person presentation for the CNY STC chapter on August 26, 2019
- in-person presentation (with abbreviated title: Tools to Enhance Your Productivity as an Editor) for AMWA Medical Writing and Communication Conference in San Diego, CA on November 7, 2019
- webinar for South Central Texas chapter of STC on January 14, 2020
- webinar for Rocky Mountain Chapter of AMWA on February 27, 2020
- webinar for Metro NY Chapter of AMWA on April 20, 2020
I’ve continued to post people’s questions and advice from all of these sessions on my company LinkedIn page.
Non-published Word Tips for Standard Responses
I created this document to help writers at a previous employer use Word, complete with step-by-step instructions and screenshots from the software:
It’s been santizied (ie, the company name and information was taken out).