2018 – 2019 Marketing and Promotions Councilor
Responsible for external marketing and promotions for the organization. First order of business is a logo revamp, followed by an update of booth materials.
2019 – 2021 Co-manager for Technical Editing Special Interest Group
Responsibilities: In collaboration with SIG leaders, plan and submit annual budget to STC, plan SIG activities and services for SIG members, and work with other STC Community leaders to provide opportunities for collaboration.
2017 – 2019 President for Rochester chapter
As president of the local chapter, organize monthly administrative council meetings and ensure members of the administrative council are providing value to chapter members by fulfilling their positions effectively and efficiently.
2018 – present Associate Fellow
2016 – 2018 Member of Intercom Editorial Advisory Committee
This committee is responsible for assisting the Intercom editor in identifying trends and best practices in technical communication and suggesting topics and subject matter expert writers and guest editors that can fill the pages of the magazine with insightful and educational articles.
Other responsibilities include:
- Collaborate to establish topics for the editorial calendar
- Submit top contenders for the Intercom Outstanding Article and the Intercom Distinguished Special Issue awards
2016 – 2017 Program Manager for Rochester chapter
Responsible for planning, promoting, and running monthly program meetings for the chapter. Events in 2016 and 2017 included:
- August Joint Networking Meeting with AMWA-NY Chapter at Towpath Cafe
- August Webinar with Joe Welinske on How to Position Technical Communication within User Experience
- September Kick-off Meeting at Fox Run Vineyard for lunch, tour, and tasting
- October Meeting at Roc Brainery: Secrets to Get More Out of LinkedIn: A Hands-on LinkedIn Session with Hannah Morgan
- November Annual Business Meeting and Tech Comm Showcase (including 6 progressions)
- December Holiday Party at Shadow Lake with Lightning Talks
- January Webinar with Johanne Lavallée and Nancy Larbl on Technical Writers without Borders and Using Your Skills for Non-Profits
- February Webinar with Bette Frick on Beyond Bullet Points: How NOT to Kill your Presentation with your Slides
- April Meeting at Barnes & Noble – Pittsford with Armelle Fée on Writing with Localization in Mind
- May Meeting at Simply Crepes in Canandaigua with Stefani Clark, Ben Woelk, Bobbi Werner, Kelly Schrank, Chuck Campbell, and Marilyn Woelk on Summit 2017 Takeaways
As a member of the administrative council, attend council monthly meetings to provide status reports (attendance, financials) and plan future programs with input from council. Also worked on Spectrum 2017 committee, soliciting donations for the giveaway table and promoting the conference by taking pictures and videos during the conference and posting to Facebook and Twitter.
2014 – 2016 Co-chair of Spectrum Conference Committee / Vice President for Rochester chapter
Responsible, with co-chair, for making sure the longest continuously running regional STC conference runs smoothly, makes a profit, and provides value to members and attendees.
There is no staff to run this regional conference, so all decisions related to keynote speaker, speakers and sessions, facilities, schedule, costs, sponsorship, and promotion fell to the co-chairs and whatever volunteers we could recruit and manage. The Council of the chapter is very committed and supportive, but it is still a tremendous amount of work to handle in your nights and weekend (as you hold down full -time jobs and family commitments).
Publicity was a big focus for the 2015 and 2016 conferences:
• WordPress – http://stc-rochester.org/spectrum/
• Hootsuite to manage and schedule tweets and Facebook posts
• Twitter – @STC Rochester, #spectrum15, #spectrum16
• Facebook – STC_Rochester
• LinkedIn group – STC_Rochester
• Sale sheets
• Moo business cards and stickers (2016 promotion at STC annual conference)
2014 Spectrum Registration Committee Chair
2012 – 2014 Mentor for Technical Communication Students
2013 – 2014 Judge for Technical Editing SIG Scholarship Competition
2013 – 2014 Secretary for Rochester chapter
2012 – 2013 Member-at-Large for Rochester chapter
2009 – 2011 President of Mid-South chapter
Planned meetings, made announcements at meetings, communicated with members and others through email blasts, established and updated LinkedIn presence, and recruited new members.
2010 Judge for Middle Tennessee Chapter Publications Competition
2009 Scholarship Competition Program Manager for Technical Editing Special Interest Group
Responsible for coordinating scholarship application materials and contacting judges with all relevant materials. The year prior, it was primarily all-paper, so we began to ask for all materials electronically through a wiki. I documented all of the materials someone would need to run the competition the next year.
2008 – 2009 Treasurer of Mid-South chapter
2007 – 2008 Newsletter Editor of Mid-South chapter
2006 Secretary of Suncoast chapter
2005 – present Senior Member
2016 – 2017 Administrator of 2017 Annual Conference Committee
Responsible for managing annual conference committee for 2017 national conference, including putting together the committee, managing proposal process, choosing Alvarez Award winner and coordinating communications with her/him, promoting conference through quarterly articles in AMWA Journal, and being a member of the AMWA Executive Committee and Board, which meets in person on a quarterly basis.
2014 – 2016 New Member Liaison and Membership Communication Coordinator for NY Chapter
Responsible for welcoming new members to the chapter and inviting them to the chapter LinkedIn group. Moderated discussions and managed requests to join the LinkedIn Group. Managed chapter mailing list and sent emails promoting monthly meetings to the chapter via MailChimp.
2015 Interviewed stakeholders as part of AMWA’s Strategic Planning Initiative
2014 Member of 2014 Annual Conference Committee
2010 – present Member